Wednesday 8 August 2012

Review: Dark Companion

Title: Dark Companion
Author: Marta Acosta
Genre: YA, fantasy, romance, mystery.
Release: July 3rd 2012
Pages: 368 pages
Rating: 3/5
abc
WARNING: When I first got Dark Companion out of the library, it was not what I expected. Not in a good way or a bad way.
(Summary from Goodreads)
When foster teen Jane Williams is invited to attend elite Birch Grove Academy for Girls and escape her violent urban neighborhood, she thinks the offer is too good to be true. She's even offered her own living quarters, the groundskeeper's cottage in the center of the birch grove.

Something's not quite right about the school -- or is it Jane? She thinks she sees things in the birch grove at night. She's also beginning to suspect that the elegant headmistress and her sons are hiding secrets. Lucky is the gorgeous, golden son who is especially attentive to Jane, and Jack is the sardonic puzzling brother.

The school with its talented teachers and bright students is a dream for a science and math geek like Jane. She also loves her new friends, including hilarious poetry-spouting rich girl, Mary Violet. But the longer Jane stays at Birch Grove, the more questions she has about the disappearance of another scholarship girl and a missing faculty member.

Jane discovers one secret about Birch Grove, which only leads to more mysteries. What is she willing to sacrifice in order to stay at this school...and be bound to Birch Grove forever
Review:
What I Feel.....
Wow, this book was not what I expected when I got it out of the library. I was hoping for SMACK! but it only did the opposite. Jane is a orphan who just got a scholarship from Birch Grove Academy, when she's finally accepted by a group of friends and is tutoring the headmistress son, Lucian but just as Jane thought things were getting better at birch grove academy, things started going down a different path.
 When I finished this book I expected this book to be out of this world, but it wasn't.  Jane made me mad sometimes, because she seemed too desperate for Lucian. I think she should have been desperate for Jack, who treated her like an angel or should I say pixie. Lucian treated her like nothing. He only used her and Jack tried to tell her and protect her. There was a part in the book that made me think that Jane was blind because she was falling for the wrong person.
Jane and Jack..... and evil Lucian
Literally, in the end it made me cry, the ending made up for the whole book. I actually thought she would fall for Lucian, which almost made me start pulling out my hair. Jack is such a sweet guy and did I mention he was so romantic, every girl would be falling for him. At the end I was like, I really wish there was more of Jack and Jane in the book, instead of Lucian.
Plot
I kind of liked the plot. I actually liked the beginning when she first came and bumped into Jack and met Lucian before he turned out to be a jerk! At the end I mostly liked the parts when she was with her friend (Mary Violet) or when she was with Jack. Over all this book was okay for me I enjoyed it thoroughly. I recommend this book for those who like mystery and romance in the woods.


Savouring The Book

a b c

- Leaf

No comments:

Post a Comment